Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Yet Another Month Under the Rising Sun

Well, I have to admit that things are fairly hopping in Niimi, at least as far as I am concerned. Nevermind the daily grind -- the fun that accompanies visiting a multitude of schools who are all studying different things -- my social life has been quickly filling up my free time. What with having joined a couple of volleyball teams and softball teams (although the softball team and the soft volleyball team are now finished until next year) as well as taking part in some of the enkais that accompany such events, attending various sports days (without the make-up day off everyone else gets as I am very cleverly scheduled around everyone's holiday) and the enkais that accompany that, takoyaki parties and nabe parties, and soon a carnival and a DJ gig to boot, I am hoping for a moment to catch my breath.

I have to admit that alcohol is at the root for several of these events, agreeing to participate as I did after consuming a plethora of screwdrivers, however it has introduced me to a variety of fun people who I am looking forward to meeting again.

A curious thing about Niimi though -- nearly everyone is married. No, this doesn't mean I am looking, but certainly compared to Yonago where very few of my friends were married, here nearly everyone I meet has taken the plunge or is desperately hoping to, which means many conversations venture in that direction. Perhaps they thought there was nothing else to do? Or maybe there is something in the water? Or are they afraid of letting a reasonably nice person get away? Who knows, but I am now being asked to describe things like my ideal man and my dream wedding, and when I reply that I haven't really put that much thought into those things (God's honest, I really haven't) there is a moment of shock and disbelief before some comment about how, "isn't marriage every little girl's dream?" bursts forth through shocked expressions. And no, these people asking me these questions aren't women but men, as the friends I have made are primarily married men...

Who knows where these conversations will continue to lead, but I have to admit to feeling sorry for Kuma-chan, one of those friends who is searching for a wife to be with little luck, which is leading to conversations about him and his stories when he is present and isn't. Poor guy, and no, I am not interested, which instead of flat out saying, "no, really, you just don't do it for me" and hurting his feelings, has resulted in me relying on my lack of free time as an excuse. (I could totally find the time if I were, but I am not...)

No comments: