Monday, December 18, 2006

Mumpalicious

Mumps-a-lot. Mumparooney. Mumps away. Mumples.

Laid down by the mumps for the last week and a half, I spent a lot of quality time being bored off my rocker. Other than the first day or two when I had a fever, it wasn't a particular bad experience. Sure, it hurt and I couldn't eat solid food for quite a while, and I have to admit the mumps definitely didn't suit my haircut, what with becoming quite the Heian beauty (the bottom half of your face is wider than the top), and I was constantly sucking back the ibuprofen for the pain, as well as trying to spend as much time as possible sleeping in the hopes that time would pass faster, but hey, other than that, I was in fine fettle. Hell, I even went to a couple of parties the day after my fever broke (and despite the schools' paranoia that kept me out of the classrooms all last week) nobody I was in contact with caught them from me.

Where did I get them? Ah, lucky me picked them up at work. One of my local schools has had the mumps running through it for a couple of weeks now, and lucky me got to take part. I think I am the only adult in the bunch to come down with it too. I've always been a very lucky girl, what can I say...

They are gone now, and I am back to solid foods, however my appetite is still missing -- crying shame when you consider the luscious feast that was laid out at Diane's yesterday. Curry, turkey, stuffed gyoza that wasn't gyoza, some fabulous melt in your mouth pork roast, gravy, potato salad, pasta salad, veggie and fruit salad, and even more all laid out for the taking, followed up by some chocolate cakes, brownies, doughnuts, and creme-filled pastries. Well, I have a week now to work myself up to a home cooked Christmas dinner with all the trimmings, so here's hoping I find my appetite in the midst of all those culinary delights.

6 comments:

Edward J. Taylor said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Edward J. Taylor said...

Looking forward to next week's post where you catch the norovirus.

Nico said...

Don't even joke about that... I don't think my immune system would forgive me.

-c said...

he he. today I was studying passives with one of my low-level students, and I asked "What major products are exported by Japan?" Without pausing she smiled and said: "The NoroVirus is exported by Japan."

Man, dose mumps do sound miserable. hope you are better for x-mas! Wishing you the best!

Edward J. Taylor said...

I shouldn't tease, but I've always thought you have some pretty fine bumps Nico. Exported by Canada.

Nico said...

And here I had never heard of the norovirus until Ted commented it, leading me to look it up. I gotta get an internet connection, the news, or a newspaper or something...

And Ted, you should have been at the Christmas party. It wasn't as far as my チクビ but it was pretty good, and I figure you would have appreciated it.