Monday, October 27, 2008

Voyeurs Anonymous

What with only having just gotten internet installed (in my Japanese life, anyways), it has become even more disturbing to me the voyeuristic tendencies I am subject to. Now, I was never one to watch the reality shows -- the first ever season of Survivor, and some of the second were about the extent of it -- but I am definitely exhibiting inclinations. Not only that, I am inviting people in as well. Facebook and blogs, and whatever else... I wonder if that is why facebook has such success? Not the social networking thing, but our ill-concealed desire to find out what other people we know are doing. I mean, I have "friends" on Facebook that I am not sure I would consider friends in real life. Although, I am getting better about ignoring requests. I will admit to enjoying looking and reading to a certain extent to see what's going on. Primarily, I use it becuase so many people I know are so far away, and it is an easy way to keep in touch. And on occasion, it can even be inspiring, seeing where people have been or what they are trying. But half the time, it is just curiosity about someone I don't really know, with perhaps a smidge of occasional jealousy... Today, I ramble.

No comments: