Thursday, June 09, 2005

Squat Where You Are

The other day I saw two men having a conversation in front of the shed at the school. They had both squatted down in the shade and carried on for quite a few minutes. I myself haven't mastered it for extended periods of time, and I don't actually think my body is capable of doing it.

Something that I have noticed a lot of Japanese people can do is to squat flat footed. The best I can do is one leg on my toes, and the other flat footed, but generally I am balanced on the fronts of both feet. Perhaps more yoga will help.

Once, when in Okayama with Katherine, we were waiting at a streetlight when an elderly obachan came along. She too was waiting to cross, and chose to squat down to do so. She was very small -- I thought I could put her in my pocket and carry her if need be -- and hunched over like she was about to start planting rice at any moment. I sincerely doubt she was physically capable of straightening out, and as such, it was probably more comfortable for her to crouch at our knees.

Drink your milk, eh?

No comments: