Thursday, March 16, 2006

On Another Note

Last night during the good old Japanese benkyou, I happened to teach my tutor a word she didn't know. At first, she looked at me like I was crazy, or had most likely gotten the word wrong, but then I looked it up and showed it to her, resulting in shock and surprise. Always fun.

Later, in my favourite restaurant chatting with a bartender before I left, he complained that I was leaving for home too early, to which I responded, "I have things to do." His reply, "いやらしい。" I had a feeling it wasn't a good word, and asked what it meant, to which he said, "エッチ。" A word I definitely understand, but was too surprised to believe that could be what he meant. So I had him write the original word down, so as to look it up when I returned home. And it wasn't a good word, and no, I didn't misunderstand the meaning. He was calling me dirty
and obscene. I am not entirely sure of what circumstances I could possibly be expected to consider that an acceptable comment from someone who is a relative stranger, and will be giving him a full-on, frightening, mixed language piece of my mind next time I run across him. And quite likely, me being me and fully willing to cut off my nose to spite my face, that will be the last time I see him as I may not go back.

No comments: