Monday, March 13, 2006

Weekends

are a beautiful thing, and far too short. Although, this weekend just past I was allowed to escape to freedom about 2 hours earlier than normal, as homeroom teachers were busy with parent-teacher discussions.

I went home during the sunny gorgeous afternoon weather and was so excited, I wanted to tell someone. But for the most part, everyone was working, so I messed with my favourite waiter's head a little via mobile mail. Followed this up with some desperately needed weeding in my garden, as well as a couple of loads of laundry and general tidying up of various areas of the house. Cian suggested the park, but that was merely a teaser as he was still working, and would be for hours yet.

Saturday, another gorgeous day that taunts you into believing that spring has finally sprung, had 18 degrees flashing on the sign by the side of the road as I whipped past with all the windows down and the music up. Those sunny days, they will probably prove to be the end of my driver's licence at some point as I can't help getting just a little too excited by the weather. And on this gorgeous day, I spent most of it indoors, in dark corners. Plans made nearly a week before to see a movie and relax over a late lunch proved to be ill-timed for the weather, as Sunday rose gray and cloudy, vacillating between whether to rain or not -- an ideal indoor activities day.

The movie was Syriana, and the restaurant can be figured out on your own -- although I would like to point out, I did not suggest the location, nor did I make any broad or subtle hints in that direction; I just didn't argue and avidly seconded the notion. Syriana is one of those movies that leaves you feeling unsatisfied on multiple levels and pondering the multitude of things wrong with capitalism in it's current incarnation. Although, it probably isn't going to stop me from leading my life of glorious consumption, eh?

Sunday, my phone promised rain and snow, and only delivered on half of it's promise in a very haphazard way, as you could step outside in the rain, and when you returned 10 minutes later, it had already ceased for who knew how long. I ended up doing some quality gardening during the in-between times, only to wake this morning and see the tender pansies and the like buried under 6 inches of snow in the garden. Hopefully they shall prove hardier than they look and not die off until I accidentally kill them through neglect. In the meantime, it was a lovely view to see the little flashes of colour in various corners and crevices of the garden during the winter hibernation.

This was followed by more laundry and cleaning as I attempt to get things sorted before my parental units descend upon my privacy. Futons were dragged out of cupboards in the hopes of airing them out without any outside air; sheets and towels were dug out of other cupboards and thrown into the mix, all the while I keep hoping someone else will do it for me. Sigh.

On a side note only semi-unrelated, Saturday morning was spent making phone reservations for various hotels and the like. My first call of the morning, to a hotel in Hiroshima, left me in a sparkly mood as the woman I was speaking to didn't start trying to speak English with me until I told her my name. "Ah?! Nico-sama? Nico-sama desu ka? Ah." At that point Saturdays and twenty-fives started being bandied about as I could hear the stress level in her voice slowly climb despite the fact I was still carrying on in J-go, same as before. A lovely and unexpected compliment of sorts.

4 comments:

-c said...

Oh, how wonderful it is to think of you putzing around that beloved Saihaku mansion, doing those simple things you wish others would do...
So, texting waiter boy, eh? You know how it goes, right? Three dates, 15 text messages, and you're sending a wedding invitation out to your girl in California!

Nico said...

You and Hiro, what am I gonna do with you. And in a fit of pique, for no real reason other than my own tempermental nature, I deleted his number et. al from my phone, so I think the wedding invite may yet be a while in coming.

Anonymous said...

"...leaves you feeling unsatisfied on multiple levels and pondering the multitude of things wrong with capitalism in it's current incarnation. Although, it probably isn't going to stop me from leading my life of glorious consumption, eh?"

This was my favorite line. The recognition of our sad state while being honest enough to know who you really are.

Nico said...

Well, as much fun as denial is, I have found it only gets me so far. That, and I don't like the person that would make me...