Friday, May 27, 2005

Poor Addicts

I have an addiction -- I have several, but only one will succeed in making me poor. Iwill, however, have an excellent selection of music to listen to en route to my madness. I buy CDs. I buy a lot of CDs. I don't have a computer of my own (so I type this at work) so I can't download music. I can burn CDs that I rent from the rental shop, but CDs from a rental shop in Japan? You can imagine how fabulous the selection will be, as well as how long a delay there is between the release and the arrival in the rental shop. Movies are sometimes 2 to 3 years behind, so why would you expect more from the music?

Anyways, I have in my possession hundreds and hundreds of CDs. I have a decent world music selection, as well as some R&B, soul, pop, rock, jazz, alternative and the omnipresent "shameful music" selection. I am not only an addict, I am also a dealer. Before Nick left the country, he was burning CDs like mad -- 10 to 20 in a borrowed batch. Ted is also making use of my collection, 20 CDs in a shot, and on his blog lately I am seeing my CDs appear in his "on the turntable" lines. I am my own personal radio station -- C has itunes on her computer, with a playtime of approximately 1 and a half days. Ted has itunes with about 8 days (I think a couple of those days are mine). I have in my apartment a playlist of a couple of weeks I think.

My latest fall into the madness of music? It was for Dave Matthews Band ("Stand up"), Johnny Cash ("Silver" & "20 foot-tapping greats"), Gorillaz ("Demonz"), Basement Jaxx ("The Singles"), and Chet Baker ("sings the standards"). I need help, but I don't think the CDA group has been formed yet. I suppose I could be the president, as well as a member?

2 comments:

Edward J. Taylor said...

This dusty post reminds me that its about time to make yet another little raid on your music collection. In fact, I am putting on my Captain Jack Sparrow outfit as I type. (Pretty dexterous, no?)

Nico said...

Avast, ye salty seadog, I'll be awaitin' yer arrival with scabbards drawn...