Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Surreal School Life

I start these blog postings (yes, well aware I have such a long history of blogging to reference) by thinking of a title, and then I am left with a mental blank as I am not sure what will follow. Perhaps I could just do a daily blog with headlines only, leaping out at you and possibly intriguing you with their suggestions of insanity and loopy hijinks, causing you to click again and again -- "blame it on the damn internet, why won't it load this bleeding post?!?!" -- in ineffectuality. It would interest me to attempt such a challenge, however it is not the rationale (excuse? defence?) for my setting up this blog in the first place.

I am my school's representative and instructor of "English and International Education." Rather sophisticated designation, isn't it. Sounds far more sophisticated than my actual role though. I attempt to conduct lessons in English, and English only, focusing on such worldly topics as "colours" and "animals" and "sports"... I am not entirely sure what the international education part of my job description is supposed to entail, but I indolently fall back on looking at my presence in the school as concrete evidence of my internationalizing. I play with the kids, let them climb all over me, answer rude questions while trying to stop them from doing rude things to me on a daily basis. Also, the most important part in such a physiognomically homogenous country, I am a large white woman with blue eyes. I most assuredly do not resemble anyone in this school. I harbour the belief that merely by coming and standing in the hallway everyday, I could fulfill this nebuolous job requirement.

No comments: