Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Sekai ha Semai

It really is a tiny world, isn't it? Everyone seems to know someone else who knows someone else who knows whatI did and isn't afraid to share...

I have recently started visiting a second elementary school and it seems as though everyone I meet knows everyone I work with, or have ever worked with, or has worked in the same school as I at some point in their finite history or even knew me.

The first year teacher worked in Yodoe while I was in my first year (ah, to be so young and foolishly ignorant -- fortunately I am so much more foolish than that now). The vice principal at that school worked with my current school's vice principal and principal when they were all back in Yodoe, long before (or so I like to fool myself as I approach thirty and am thrown into a weird state of reflection) my time. My current principal was also a teacher in that school about 20 years ago. One of the grade six teachers is married to the woman who was in charge of school lunches at my current school when I arrived (but she is now on maternity leave). The school office lady worked at my current school until April of this year, and is also a member of our struggling English conversation class. Another random teacher whose role I don't yet understand worked in my current school until about two years ago when my friend Dago worked here (I believe she may be the divorcee the then principal was drunkenly trying to set Dago up with at the drinking parties). And in the principal's office there is a photo of the man who was principal in Yodoe when I first arrived. Serendipity may not be the word for it -- I lean towards stalking or something of that ilk.

They all know everyone and everything and it frightens me. I have been informed that even as far away as Kurayoshi there are teachers that speak in reverent whispers about my creative game-making. I don't know why I need to keep appearing in un-understandable newspaper articles throughout the prefecture, as well as my small town, when it is patently obvious that everyone is aware of, or knows someone who is aware of, who I am. It is time to launch a counter-attack. What I want to know is who are you and why are you spying on me?

No comments: