Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Voices From the Past and Sticky Sticks

Saturday afternoon I got a lovely surprise that almost made me cry. While sitting on my living room floor, going through and listening to music, I got a phone call from -c. Conversation ensued about who is doing what and where and how and when, but not so much on the who, until the connection was cut. My eyes got all moist as I remembered good times and last year and a smiling face with laughing (sometimes unfocused) eyes. My mood was set for the rest of the day.

The Christmas party was preceded by a lovely dinner at Do!Do!Do! Cafe where many of the staff were laughing at my Santa hat and numerous bells. It is hard to be discreet going down stairs during someone's wedding reception, especially during a speech when you have bells on your shoes... The Christmas party itself was well attended, as all the friends I invited showed up and hung around till wee hours dancing, drinking, and laughing more and more. Although there was a band that refused to yield, hollering out, "2 more song!" then, "1 more song!" as they launched into heavy head-banging renditions of whtever the hell they were trying to play. Sadly, people started filtering out at this point, leaving me, the last DJ, with nought but the die-hards or too-drunk-to-leaves. Both Cian and Mollerfucker performed excellent sets, Cian with borrowed back-up from other bands. He even ventured into a third chord, much to the shock of Ted. Tetrapod, a trio I had never seen before, also rocked the house, playing a funky instrumental of the Peter Gunn theme song.

Once the party was over, decorations hastily collected and good-byes rapidly mumbled, we three stooges and Subo ventured back to Do!Do!Do! so I could lust quietly and flirt ostentatiously with my cute waiter at 2:30 in the morning. We spent quality time telling un-quality jokes ("What is brown and sticky?" "A stick") until it was time to kick us out for the night. Sarah and Subo, to celebrate their recent engagement, carried on back to Missile, while Elly and I stumbled on home to Sarah's floors.

Sunday, in a desire for brunch of good food, and again, my waiter, we meandered on back to Do!Do!Do! for one last visit, intended to sustain me until I return to Japan in January. Knowing grins were exchanged amongst the wait staff when we strolled in less than 10 hours since our last visit (which had also been made in less than 10 hours since our last visit before that) and we were seated in the honour spot in the middle of the bar. ALl this so I could make it through a quasi-manatory town organized Christmas party that I was going to show up 2 hours late to. Ahh, life is good.

And the snow keeps coming. There is at least 1 foot on the ground, if not more, and the kids have turned everything into a snow country, populated with snowmen everywhere. My garden is looking gorgeous under the Christmas lights right now. It's a shame it is too cold to stand and stare at it.

4 comments:

Edward J. Taylor said...

I just wanted to say one thing about the party that neither you nor Cian seem to get. The last group, Ushi's band, didn't drive the people off. Most of the people who left were Japanese friends of the earlier groups. They'd have left anyway. Also, the brawl didn't help matters any. Ushi is a good guy who is at the center of the local music scene and he's done a lot to create cohesion between bands, which helps things go smoothly at big events like the party. If it was his sound you didn't like, blame HiHigh, since the mix is always horrible. If it weren't for the size of the place, and the dancability factor, I wouldn't play there anymore.
The bands ran only 15 minutes over. This was also due to the constant "borrowing" of members from other groups. A minute or two here and there adds up. Plus that looseness of time is part of rock'n'roll baby!
Anyway, the party was a great success I thought, and you still ROCK!

Nico said...

I think they played at the wrong time, and I still think they should have given up the stage when asked. I don't mind the music, but I was in the mood for dancing around, not so much of the headbanging. And I realize that a lot of people who left were friends of other bands (a curious trend I have noticed here where people only come for their friends, not for lead-ins or follow-ups before disappearing into the night), but how do you know they wouldn't have stayed had some other music been going on? I'm not trying to knock him, but I think it didn't quite fit is all. And it isn't due to Hi High's crappy sound system.

Thanks so much for phoning Sunday afternoon, I really really appreciated it! I hope your videos etc. kept you cozy all day yesterday...

-c said...

Alright, kids... No bickering, or I'll turn this car around right now!

It sounds to me like the party was a great success all around, and I wish I coulda been there to dance, headbang, and get silly.

Nico- it was awesome to talk to you the other day. Sorry we got cut off. I'll email the end of the conversation to you...

Nico said...

A difference of opinions doesn't make it bickering. You know that well enough, considering how often you like to start arguments -C. Gotta miss your contrary self.