Friday, November 04, 2005

Chickens Without Heads

The grade 3 Halloween party was set to happen during 5th and 6th period. I got to school, knew what I had to do and when in order to get everything done on time. I started asking teachers for favours and moving supplies out to where they needed to be.

2nd period rolls around, and I go help out with the 3rd and 4th grade marathon. Seizing the chance, I have a quick last minute discussion with Naitou sensei, and discover that now, the party will only be during 6th period, as the students need to practice for the fall festival next week. Okay, no problem. Means a little less work for me. So instead of cancelling the 4th period class, like I had planned to do in order to decorate the multi-purpose classroom for the kids, I teach the 4th grade class.

Lunch is eaten, I get some random stuff sorted out for the party, so that when the 2nd gaders leave the gym, I can just dash in and get it all very quickly put in place. Cleaning time rolls around and the 3rd graders are helping out in the multi-purpose room, when an argument breaks out between 2 classes about when the party is. I attempt to settle the argument by saying that it will now be 6th period only. I walk into the other classroom and look at the daily schedule board, and it says "5th and 6th period. English: Halloween Party!!" I run upstairs to check the third classroom and all the kids there say the same thing. I look for Naitou sensei, or any of the 3rd grade teachers, and discover them all in a meeting in the principal's office -- at least until cleaning time is over. I attempt to call one of them out, but no luck.

Stress level is climbing.

I scramble to make up a stamp rally sheet, just in case, and start mentally running through what I need to do and who can do what. I run into Ebara sensei and he says, "No, no, no, the party will be 5th and 6th period. We aren't going to have music today." Crap, crap, crap. With fistfuls of stamp and ink pads, I run around to ask favours again of all the teachers I had previously asked and then un-asked. Naitou sensei sees me, and from then on until when I go home, he apologizes for the mess. He takes care of filling up my water buckets while I try and get into the gym to sort some stuff out, while hoping the kids don't change too quickly into their costumes.

The party starts with the stamp rally, and after I have sent everyone off I run back out to the gym to take care of small details. The kids come back, I come back and everyone heads to the gym where the party games start in earnest.

I pulled it off, just barely, and you should have seen me when the day ended and I was trying to take care of the clean-up.

No comments: