Monday, November 21, 2005

Insolvency Doesn't Totally Suck

Despite the fact that I have only had 134 yen in my wallet since last Monday -- well, mostly in my wallet, as some of those 1 yens were spread round in various locations of the penthouse -- I managed to have a pretty good week.

One friend was so worried about the state of things she was trying to force money on me as she feared for my starvation, however I was able to reassure her that I was well-stocked should any such emergency befall me. I proved this by sending her text messages all last week, informing her of the culinary delights I was partaking in. This ranged from sweet chili sauce salmon; double mustard chicken; dijon chicken with mango chutney, brie and pappadums; tzatziki dip with pita bread; chicken and veg in a honey-garlic reduction; braised star anise pork; and mongolian vegetable stew. All in all, I did all right.

Although I did experience a moment of concern on Thursday night when I ran out of kerosene for my heaters, but was quick to remember that I have air conditioners / heaters in all my main rooms, so the bedroom was safe. In the kitchen, I chose to boil water instead of using the wall unit, and the living room portable heater still had kerosene, as did the bathroom, so I was set.

Didn't go out much, but I did inordinately enjoy volleyball practice Saturday night by accompanying it with a bottle of kahlua and milk. And the gorgeously clear weather was conducive to outdoor strolls. Last night was a little but of a shock though, going out after dark and wishing I had my gloves and scarves with me, pulling up all my hoods over top of my head, and practically retracting my arms into my body in an attempt to stay warm.

Gotta say, am really really glad it's payday though...

1 comment:

-c said...

Damn, how I wish I were there to stop by after work and eat all of the impoverished chef's delicacies...
I miss your cooking...