Monday, November 28, 2005

Only 25 miles to go now...

Well, not really miles, and actually even fewer than 25 days, but I have that song rattling around inside my brains right now, bouncing from hemisphere to hemisphere and making me want to dance.

On December 16th, I fly home. And on December 16th, I will arrve at home for a three week plus a couple days visit during which I will relax, shop, read books, visit friends and family and perhaps adjust to the time change more than two days before I fly home. Being a night person doesn't help with the time change, as I am already incline to stay up till 1 or so. Add in a lost day and several missing hours and I may as well stay up all night...

Which works well if you are going to a club, as I plan to on my second night home, but not so well if you are trying to be social in a family where most people are in bed by 10 or 11, and are up by 8.

Would have worked well last week, when we went to DNA, Steve and Tom's new club in Tottori city. And a real club it was, with people doing real club things. Dancing and ginding and flirting and drinking and making out in corners, on dance floors, and up against walls. Even a few body shots were found as people shook it out on the dance floor to house and hip hop and a few pop tunes. Unfortunately, I am turning into a music snob, as I actually liked very little of the music being played.

Steve has explained to me before the importance of being able to maintain a beat under the tunes, which I fully understand. However, I just don't care. I want to hear music that is music -- you know, songs you might actually hear on the radio, that will make you crank it up wherever you are and sing a sway and shake it. The house DJ did layer a few of those over the electronica, but not enough to make me want to stay on the floor. The hip hop DJ did his thing and seemed to do it well enough, but few of the songs made me feel like I was having fun.

Unlike karaoke, where all the songs -- well, usually all the songs -- bring out the joy and fun to be had of a good night out with a few friends. One song, which seemed to be intended as a semi-seirous tune, was taken far from seriously by Diane and I. It was called "おばさんになっても," from the point of view of a woman who has turned thirty and is lamenting the things she can no longer do. She misses out on being able to wear miniskirts and bikinis and going to Saipan with her boyfriend, claiming that if she did wear a miniskirt or bikini, she would merely lose out to the younger women on the beach, as he prefers younger women. Although she does get a little of he own back, when she says that he has already become an おじさん too. Diane and I couldn't stop laughing, mostly in disbelief, and Ritsuko didn't quite get where we were finding the humour in it, although it did throw her into brief fits of laughter as well.

No comments: