Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Heart All Aflutter

Last night as I was getting settled for bed, I heard shouting and wailing and screaming coming from a parking lot nearby. At first I thought it might just be some noisy late-night revelers being let out of the izakaya next door, but then the screams of a woman took on a tone of desperation. I went to the window to try and figure out where it was coming from, and saw a neighbour who lives alone closing all her windows as I opened mine wider.

I realized it was coming from the parking lot up the street, and seeing the headlights of a car I decided to go and check it out, making sure everything was alright. I quickly got dressed and grabbed my phone as I went out the door. I noticed my heart fluttering and my hands were shaking as I tried to get my key in the lock. As I approached the parking lot's entrance, the sounds and shouts had dissipated, and the car came tearing out in front of me. I looked around to make sure there was no one hurt and left behind, but they were gone -- rode out in the car the came in on.

Perhaps if I had understood what was being said, I would have felt less of a case of nerves and more calm, simply slamming windows shut like my neighbour did. But I didn't, and in the hopes that if I, or someone I love, should ever be in a situation similiar to that, someone would be kind enough to come and make sure everyone was alright, I did the same. Fortunately, as far as I know, there was no call for my presence.

No comments: