Tuesday, September 20, 2005

All in Good Sport

Sporting fun? I once saw on another blog the phrase, "Weekend is a verb." And this weekend kind of was.

After getting yogic and bendy and sarcastic with evil Ted and nice Diane on Friday night, I returned home to watch some of the latest mystery video sent by my loving madre. I have since decided that Ted's current yoga studio would be an absolutely brilliant place to have a party, if onlythe neighbors's homes didn't butt right up against the building.

Saturday was not much to speak of, however one or 2 double entendre skymails made their dirty way out into the world from the tips of my slightly liquored up fingers.

Sunday, feeling bored and footloose, I contacted some J friends I've not seen in ages just to say hi, and ended up going to watch their niece and nephew's sports day, at a school that only has 18 students, so audience participation is highly encouraged. They even go so far as to bribe you with such treasures as bleach, memo pads, felt markers, little tarps perfect for hanami drunkenness... I do believe I may have caused myself undue physical harm in the tug of war -- personally, I would like to blame it on my sandals. The inappropriate footwear could have been remedied had I been aware how participatory the event was to be.

My quick thinking and even quicker lying got me out of a potential J assault in the gym following the sports day, as I claimed to have to go to a friends for dinner (Diane, I am so sorry to have dragged you into a lie, but I just couldn't handle it. And it was just a lie about the date really, as I am coming for dinner tonight!)

The weather started to get humid again on Sunday night, and I came back drowning in sweat after a one hour stroll about town. It carried on through Monday and is still cloying today. Monday, in an attempt to escape the buggy humidity, Pete, Cian and I fled to the mountain for a little pitch and putt, where the course was so short, it was really leaning towards long putting.

I lost the pitch and putt game most miserably, as my putting is really not good. Pete and Cian tied -- well, mostly Pete lost the lead as he hit a ball over the green and down the hill, and it then took 6 strokes to recover from it. In an effort to break the tie, we went over to the putting green for nine holes of putting, where Pete's strong putting from the game before took a little loss of confidence, thus losing to Cian by 1 stroke. I wasn't even in the game really.

Due to this humiliating loss, Pete demanded that we follow all up with Bowling, determined as he was not to lose to Cian, and knowing that Cian isn't particularly strong at bowling. Sadly, Pete did not prevail there either -- I did. Kicked their asses right good too. Hahahahaha....All in all, an excellent weekend, and it remains to be seen if next weekend can surpass this, although I have secret reasons to believe it can...

No comments: