Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Things are Changin' in the Sticks

Favourite people have left, or are leaving, or are changing drastically in ways I wasn't necessarily ready for. New people are showing up and bitching about the olds, showing their age and unreadiness and lack of confidence to everyone about. I am having a hard time caring. The girl who wouldn't shut up during my seminar yesterday, despite it being as much for her benefit as for everyone else, severely tried my patience. How many times I held my tongue, even when she was merely ranting in the midst of someone else's seminar, cannot be counted. Fortunately, not everyone is like here, but I hear we have our own versio down in the 'Nog who spends as much time complaining about her olds as the girly-girl yesterday, but who also likes to spice it up with cries for mommy dearest to swoop in and take care of. The boys, I don't know about yet, but there are loads of them. Of the 3 or 4 who I have spoken to so far, they seem alright, but perhaps they are just wiser about keeping their mouth shut in public.

I may be getting bitchy this year, as my patience seems to wear a little thinner every year. I have noticed how when you are out in the sticks in a foreign country like this, you often end up being friends with people you would never be friends with at home, merely because they are all that is around, and if I am not careful I will lose even those as I start pointing out stupidities in a cruel and acerbic manner.

Too old for this shit. Seriously.

No comments: