Thursday, September 22, 2005

Short Week, Few Posts

This is one of those fabulous times in Japan when the work week becomes a mere three days, due to marvelous timing of national holidays.

Yesterday was spent with three ALTs in the school who came to watch my classes and walk away impressed and intimidated by my teaching splendour. (I wonder how many synonyms for great I can throw in here?) Classes went all right, kids were normal -- same as always, 4-2 was slightly out of hand. Now people have these horribly high standards that I am expected to live up to.

I feel the urge to just randomly disgorge? spew? regurgitate? (why is there no word for that that can be considered even remotely appealing?) anything and everything.

Last night I went grocery and CD shopping. Isn't the link between the two events screamingly obvious? For music, I picked up Massive Attack, Indian curry music, and Tracy Chapman. For food, the intent was to purchase sun-dried tomatoes, but I changed my mind after I arrived and bought 3 eggs, fresh vegetables, sandwich meat, and salad dressing. The potential for healthy eating exists, but...

One of the three ALTs that visited yesterday scared me a little, as she was very loud. She doesn't even have the excuse of American-ness to fall back on. Although perhaps I have been here too long and have adjusted to the lowered speaking voices, thus finding her natural speaking register harsh and grating. The other two ALTs that came have been here for a while, and weren't nearly as loud, although on Steve's part, that could be due to his lower, basser voice. (Can you say basser, is that even a word? Or have I made it up? Maybe it's just spelled wrong.)

Jazz Inn is in the cards tonight. I have been randomly inviting whomever, so it could be quite a mix. Had to warn Diane when I went over Tuesday for dinner and recording of listening tests that I had involved her in a low, so should the other party show up, she will be aware. It wasn't even a horrible lie, it was just a desperate attempt to escape a group party at Aimi tiny shogakkou on Sunday following the sports day festivities. I claimed to be going to their house for dinner, which was off by a couple of days, but not a total lie. And as I have invited the lied-to party as well, I need to be careful.

Elly wanted to meet up with me in Yonago for dinner tonight -- the original plan was that it would be last week, but that changed. I decined, choosing instead to meet after for the jazz bar, as I have been intending to go to Viva Shiva and Headspin Friday for a couple of weeks, and knowing that Elly is allowing me to stay over Friday night, it means I shall also be buyingbreakfast/lunch on Saturday morning as Elly's house rarely seems to have food. 3 days in a row is a little too much, especially as I have a fridge and freezer full of groceries and yummy meals.

Wasting too much time right now, but I mostly have Monday's classes all planned. Tuesday is still up in the air, but that is what Monday is for, isn't it.

Must clean my disaster zone tonight before Elly comes around. Everything is just scattered everywhere. But was too tired last night to care. In bed by 10:30 yesterday. Gonna have to warn Elly I will be sleeping in tomorrow morning, perhaps I will put her in a separate room.

Off to go and find my supplies for my classes today. Hopefully I will find the energy too.

No comments: