Monday, February 06, 2006

Weather Obsession

I am not entirely sure why, but ever since coming to Japan, I seem to be fostering a mild obsession about the weather. It was never a big deal with me at home; at least, not to the extent that an entire conversation, or a blog posting, or an email could be solely about the weather, but I seem to have reached that unfortunate point.

I would like to point out that talking about the weather, or more specifically the temperature, is one of the easiest conversations to have with someone in Japan. In fact, some of the earliest words I can remember learning were the words for hot, cold, warm and cool. People that are nervous about talking to you often find the weather an easy way to start, or even in just in passing they will throw out a "寒いですね!" to which you can easily respond in kind, maybe adding a comment about what the weather forecast is calling for in the next few days.

I used to think it was just because I was a foreigner, but as I have come to understand more Japanese I realize that is not the case. I often overhear conversations not directed at me, between Japanese who are conversing at length about the weather.

And I blame it on the weather itself. And the houses, the lack of central heating, the folly that is considered insulation, the single glazed windows, the lack of weather stripping around the doors... It's not that the weather is all that horrible (well, it does get pretty damn hot and humid in the summer so it just depends on your taste), it is just the Japanese mentality that you must ガマン through it. However, I fail to understand how forcing people to endure the weather -- ostensibly to make them stronger -- is effective when all they do is complain about it. Incessantly. Complaining. My mind boggles as I lose all feeling in my fingers and toes.

In fact, I think the weather is to blame for my going out more often in the winter. Shops, restaurants and the like always have heating on, and it works just as well for me to let someone else pay the bill while I mellow out with a hot chocolate and a good friend.

2 comments:

-c said...

Obsess on, ye obsessor! You can do my part for me, since here it's a pretty dull infatuation ("Wow, it's SO, SO just like it was yesterday, isn't it? How do you think it'll be tomorrow? Same, same..")

Nico said...

You should have been here on Tuesday -- all the seasons crammed into one day. Snow, wind, rain, sun, thunder, lightning. The only things missing were hail and fog.