Wednesday, February 08, 2006

When I Was Young

When I was in grade 7, I remember having to write something for our "yearbook" about where I thought I would be in twenty years. If my memory isn't failing me, and I am pretty sure I am good on this front, I wrote that I would be "32 and crazy." Well, only one and a half years left until I hit the 32 part, but as it stands, I think I was probably off the mark on the other.

As a kid, I thought it was great to be crazy, and I still do (not locked up in a padded room crazy, just nuts enough to do the things that frighten you a little). Some of the most interesting people I know fall into that category, and keep me well and truly entertained.

I have been getting comments from various sources over the past few years that have been leading me to doubt my own level of crazy -- in fact, to doubt whether I have not escaped from it entirely. I have been told several times that I am normal, and even by one person on a multitude of occasions that I am the most normal person they know. Which could be good, but doesn't thrill me. Although, if you live in a world of crazy people, wouldn't being normal make you a freak in your own right?

Anyways, neither here nor there. I am just sitting here thinking about what I should do and what I want to do when I return home, and I got thrown off on the tangent of what I wanted to be when I was a kid, and what I used to tell people I would be. I wanted to be a teacher (something I do now, after a fashion), Prime Minister of Canada, and an astronaut. Canada's lack of a space programme makes the whole astronaut thing a little bit of a reach, but hey, you never know how the whole PM thing might work out... I think I might be a little too... practical? to be the PM though, occasionally too direct, which could potentially lead to serious rifts in international relations. It could be better for the country in general if I don't aspire to the upper echelons of bureaucratic chicanery. Could be better for me too, especially considering how much I like sleep.

I still don't have a firm idea what to do when I re-enter the atmosphere and join the rest of the world, so please, stop asking.

2 comments:

Edward J. Taylor said...

If you're the definition of normal, heaven help us all.

Nico said...

Trust me, I'm prayin' for all y'all...